Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Monday, January 3, 2011

Why the Glen-L Malahini?

As this is a new blog and I 've been at this for a few months, I'm trying to catch up on activity that has transpired over the past months.  So, you may see a few posts in rapid succession and then periods of non-activity. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  Why the Malahini?  I guess there are three considerations.  One is the design.  I wanted a classic runabout design that I could deck with mahogany and have it look like the Chris Crafts of old.  Glen-L has a number of designs that provide the desired look.  The second consideration is size. When building a boat you need a place to build it, and that space is required for an extended period of time.  My garage is all I had and it limited the size to about 16'.  Finally, cost is the last consideration.  While a larger, barrelback design with a large inboard would be my preference, the cost of such a build, even if I had the space to build it, would be prohibitive. 

When searching for plans, there are actually very few choices. Glen-L offers a large selection of plans, plus has an outstanding website that offers advice on wood, epoxy and building techniques. In addition, it has the builder's forum that offers of wealth of information on solutions, opinions on materials and a willing bunch of builders who will help you overcome any obstacle.  A valuable resource, for sure.   Prior to even selecting Glen-L or the Malahini,  I researched the information on the forum to help understand what I was getting into. 

So, the Malahini offered the design and size I needed, plus was provided by a company that has an active builder's forum to give you the support you need to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment