I decided to use a wood steamer to help bend the chines and sheers. Researching the web showed many approaches for steam bending using a wood box or PVC pipe. An issue with PVC is that the melting temperature is close to 100 degrees C, so many of pictures using PVC showed sagging 4" pipe after having been exposed to steam. An alternate is polypropylene which has a higher melting temperature and that Home Depot sold some drainage pipe made of polypropylene or a modified compound made from it. I thought this was a better approach so I bought one 10' section. I made a plug for one end which included a steam escape hole and drilled a drain hole at the other end to let the condensed steam drip out. Having a Wagner steam wallpaper remover gave me a convenient source for steam.
To support the wood within the pipe, I drilled and inserted some wood dowels across the pipe at regular intervals to hold the wood and not let them get wet from the condensate. Here's a few pictures of the setup.
This is rear end showing the plug and the dowels that are inserted across the pipe to support the wood.
Here a picture of the steamer and the steam pipe inserted into the end of the pipe.
I ended up using the boat frames to support the pipe while I steamed them.
This shows the Wagner steam source and a bucket to collect the drippings.
The final step is firing up the steamer, inserting the wood and letting it steam for an hour or so. Veritas has a wood steaming guide that recommends an hour of steaming for an inch thickness of wood. I closed off the open end with a towel and let it steam for an hour. The pipe was 10' long so the maximum length I could stea was 10 feet. Also, because the chine and sheers are scarfed, I could put the epoxy joint in the steamer because epoxy can soften when heated. I inserted the wood up the the scarf joint. The steamed sections would be used at the front of the boat where the bend was the most severe.
After the wood was steamed I bent it around the frames to hopefully set the bend needed for the chines. Here is a picture of the chines being clamped to the frames after steaming.
The chines bent pretty easily after the steaming but when removed from clamping sprung back quite a bit. So, putting them into final position would still be challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment