Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Attaching the sheers

The sheers define the edge between the deck and the side of the boat. The design calls for laminating two pieces that are 5/8" by 1 1/4".   The weather was decent on Friday, so I put my planer on the driveway and planed the 13/16" sheer pieces down to 5/8. I needed all that room because the wood is 18' long.   It took about 5 passes as the 10" Ryobi planer is not super strong so I could only take a little at a time.
I then steamed them for an hour and clamped them in position to put a partial bend in them.  Once cooled, I could start attaching them.   It was quite awkward trying to bend and work these long pieces. 
To assist in attaching the sheers, I screwed an angled piece of 2x4 to the back of the breasthook.  The breasthook is the trianglar piece of plywood sitting at a right angle and under the stem.  This let me clamp the sheers into position so I could attach them.  I glued and screwed the first sheer to the breasthook then bent it around the frames to the transom.  I clamped at the first few frames and nail gunned the first sheer to the later frames to hold in position while I attached the second. I let it extend past the transom for trimming later.
Then applying glue to the entire first sheer I started laminating the second.  This picture shows the second one in position so I could screw it in.
I then started clamping the second sheer to the first as I worked to the rear.  It took every clamp I had.   Process was then repeated on the other side. These show the array of clamps around each side of the boat.



The final step required cutting the ends of the sheers where it attaches to the transom.  I couldn't cut these until I worked the sheers around the frames.   The multifunction tool from Harbor Freight made cutting these pretty easy because I could just hold the sheer up to the transom and cut it using the transom line as a guide.  The tool vibrates a saw blade back and forth at a very high rate.  You just push blade into the wood and it cuts it off.  I use this tool for lots of home improvement projects and it is highly recommended.

When everything was clamped, I countersunk and screwed the laminated sheers to each frame and the transom. The silicon bronze screws still give me fits.  They are easy to break off when trying to tighten them home. I tend to think my pilot hole isn't quite deep enough.  Maybe by the time I finish the boat I'll figure out how to use them.
Next up is fairing the frames, chines, sheers and stem.

No comments:

Post a Comment