Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cutting limbers

Well, I am almost up to date. I did the limber cutting a few days ago.  One more post after this and I should be up to date.
Limbers are drain passages in the frames that lets the water drain to the rear of the boat so the bilge pump can remove it.  Limbers are required on each side of the keel and also on outside of each batten.  The battens won't be attached until later, so I am only cutting the limbers around the keel.
Using a jig clamped to the keel placed in position, I routed a channel into each frame on each side of the keel. 

Here is the router bit and the jig clamp in position for routing one frame.
It actually took more time to set this up than cutting the limbers.  I guess that's true about many activities:  there's more to the planning and setup than the actual event.    A little file work to flatten out the cut and it was done.  I liked the results.

We're now ready for the keel.  I just need some time and a little warmer weather so I can use the epoxy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment