Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A place to sit

The seat backs and bottoms consist of 3/8 " plywood panels that will get upholstered.  I also wanted the bottoms easily removable so we could store things underneath. To be more manageable, the seat bottoms are divided into two halves.  The seat backs are also removeable since there is storage room in the rear I want to use.

This is the rear seat. The seat back extends about 1.5" above the deck and is curved to follow the deck profile.
This is the front.  Not much different.

To hold the pieces in place yet still offer remove-ability, there are blocks on the bottom to prevent forward movement.  On the seat backs, there are angled oak blocks the hold things in place with the help of gravity.  I am not sure what will happen with bumps and rough water.  I may need a fastener or two to keep things down.    This diagram shows the layout.


 This shows the block on the seat back (left) which is glued in place and the frame on the right which has a little vertical adjustment for fit. They will get a coat of epoxy.  

Part of the challenge with mounting these panels is that they get covered with foam and vinyl, limiting what and where you can attach things and drills holes.   

I called the upholsterer I was planning to use; the one recommended by some ACBS members, and I got bad news.  He is so backed up he couldn't get to my project until July!  I can't wait that long!  The boat is almost done and I want to get it in the water.    I was given another name and I have an appointment this Thursday to discuss the project.  Hopefully she will have some time to work on it.   I may have to launch the boat with plywood seating.









No comments:

Post a Comment