Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The hatch doors go on

With the varnish dry and of acceptable finish, I could start putting some pieces together.

First up was mounting the hatches.  As described in my last post, I mounted the hinges before I completely cut out the panels.  This was to ensure alignment of the panels.  It turned out to work like a charm.

These were the pieces after they were cut out and fit for the hardware.  These were epoxied and varnished along with the rest of the deck.   I then mounted the hardware and reattached the hinges.

To support the end of the hatch and keep it level with the decking, I mounted an aluminum right angle piece to the strongback under the deck.  This caught on the hatch door when I tried to open it, so I had to trim some clearance on the panels.  The alignment and operation are what I had hoped for.  

The other bits for the cooler and trash compartment will come later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment