Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Making a windshield

The aluminum windshield brackets somewhat dictate the shape and size of the windshield.  The end brackets are closed at the top so that dimension is fixed.  In the middle, there can be some extension, but you have to make sure it looks in proportion.  This shows the end result.


I made the windshield panels out of 1/4" plexiglas I ordered from estreetplastic.com.  They sell a 24"x36" piece which works for both halves.

After mounting the center piece of the windshield bracket set, I used cardboard to make a rough template.  Using that I cut a working template from 1/4 plywood.





These are the two templates.  The plywood template can then be sanded and smoothed to match the deck and provide the look you want.    I split the plexi on my tablesaw and then used this template to rough cut both halves at once on my bandsaw.   Then using the template as a router guide to trim the cut to the final shape.  I did not try to do both at once, which was a good thing.  See note below.






You have to take a little off at time but the final cut is pretty smooth.  Just a little fine sanding on the top was needed to smooth the edge.  Cutting plastic sure makes a mess, though.  Plastic chips fly and stick everywhere. 

One thing of note:  The deck curves were not quite identical.  It is not visibly obvious, but when the template was flipped to the right side, there were gaps.  So, I had to adjust the plywood template after I made the left side and then route the right side with a tweaked template.



There also was a bunch of tweaking and trimming to get the pieces to align and fit right into the center post.  There are raised screw holes which must be cleared for a good fit.  The second piece of the center post screws in and clamps the plexiglas to the post.





Here's another shot of the windshield in place and mounted.  The rubber gasket lining the bottom of the plastic is a special windshield gasket that I have only found at classicboatconnection.com.  The plexiglas is pretty flexible.  I worry someone will grab the windshield and pull the pieces out or worse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment