As the end is in sight, I am starting to put all the pieces together. I made the floor boards a long time ago, but it is time to put them in place and secure them. Each floor board is in two pieces so they are easy to get into place. They rest on the floor battens and slide under the side consoles. To support the floor boards around the edges, I mounted blocks on the seat frames.
This is the rear floor. Since there are two pieces there is a seam down the middle. I cut a shallow dado down the center on each half to take the center maple hold down strip. This strip is a little over 1" wide and will be screwed to the center floor batten. It holds down the middle of the floor plus covers the seam. In this picture, it is just being fit and has not been epoxied or varnished. When finished, it will be less white and match the maple stripes in the floor. In addition to the center strip, I plan to add a few more stainless steel screws with a decorative washer into other floor battens to hold it all down.
The same attachment will apply to the front floor boards. The front edge of the forward floor rests on frame #4. You can see up into the bow and it is not finished. I could attach a panel to make it look neater. That will come later, if it is deemed necessary for aesthetic reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment