Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Polished aluminum brackets

In a previous post I mentioned the cast aluminum windshield brackets I purchased to create an authentic looking classic boat windshield.  Rather than have you look them up, here is the original picture of the brackets in their rough cast finish.

I took them to a plating shop and they recommended to only polish them.  There are small pits in the cast aluminum which they said would not come out and might not look that good if plated.   So, they only polished them, which also looks pretty good.  It also saved me some money, since plating is an additional charge.

This is the result.  Since they are not plated, I sprayed them with aluminum clear coat to prevent oxidation.   I also bought some plexiglas for the windshield, so once I get the deck finished I can make the windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment