Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Friday, September 9, 2011

A trailer has arrived

A boat trailer is needed at some point in time to move the boat.  I'll have to take to a Water Patrol inspection to get it titled and also to the upholsterer.  I'll also need to get it to the lake, duh.  There are two options I was exploring. One, buy a boat, motor and trailer and throw the boat away.  There are lots of choices on Craigslist.  The other option is to buy a trailer and motor separately.  In this scenario, you don't have to get rid of the boat, but finding the right trailer and motor can take more time.

I was trolling Craigslist for trailers and looked at a couple of trailers that were either in pretty bad shape or too small. I then saw a listing for what looked like some decent trailers for sale at Bud's Motorsports.  http://budsmotorsports.com/contactus.aspx   He is located near Conway, MO, which is down I-44 past Lebanon, MO, a town with several boat factories (Tracker, Lowe.)  Anyway, Bud bought some excess trailers and is selling them at a good price. They are new and never used, but they may be a year old or so.  Last weekend we were going down to our condo at Lake of the Ozarks, so we took the long way and detoured down I-44 to take a look.  After tracking into the woods and off-roading (e.g. gravel road) back into the boonies we found Bud's place.  He had a lot of nice trailers of different sizes.  For $675 I was able to get a nice, new 2010 trailer, some extra bunks which I want to add for better support of the hull, plus a spare tire.

The trailer, as you can see, has guides to help get the boat on the trailer, 13" wheels and a folding tongue (which you can't see) to allow it to fit in my garage. 
Once the trailer bunks are set up, I'll need to host a lifting party to hoist it on the trailer.  I can then retire my cradle.


No comments:

Post a Comment