Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Putting it on the trailer

As posted earlier, I had a nice trailer that was sitting in the driveway.  I figured it wouldn't be too long before I'd get hassled to move the trailer as these are not appreciated in the subdivision.  So this weekend was fix the trailer time.  The trailer had two bunks, but I wanted four to give more support to the bottom.  This picture shows the original two bunks.
To add antother two bunks, I removed the mounts for these and moved them outboard about ten inches.  Since this trailer was not designed for my hull, I planned to set the hull on these two and then mount the inner two bunks to match the hull.  Spacers would be needed to raise the bunks, but I didn't know how much.
So, once the two bunks were moved, I needed to set the boat.  Rather than get another gang to lift the hull, I rigged a lifting frame and attached a hoist to a 4x4 resting up in the rafters on the garage door frame.  With the help of a neighbor, I was able to lift the hull and remove the cradle.
I didn't quite have the center of gravity located, but you could move the hull around in this orientation.  Maneuvering the trailer under the hull and adding a little manual pushing, plus attaching the winch, I was able to draw the boat onto the trailer.   It is now back at home in the garage.  A nice feature of this trailer is that the tongue has a hinge which allows you to swing it sideways and fit it in a normal garage.

Next up is to fit the other two bunks.  I plan to use the existing brackets, but will need to build some spacers to make the bunks meet the hull. 

No comments:

Post a Comment