The drain tubes which go through the transom are brass tubes with a flare on one end. This flare is set on the outside. The tubes are then cut to length on the inside and then epoxied into place. I wanted to flare the inside so I cut the tubes about 1/8" longer. To flare the tube, I used a special tool constructed by my son, Kevin, who has access to a lathe at work. You can buy one of these for $25 if you don't have access to a lathe.
Using a bolt to draw this die into the unflared end causes the end to get a slight flare. The hole in the die is 1/4", but I broke a bolt trying to flare the first tube. So, I drilled this out to 5/16" which added enough beef to take the load.
The die does not completely curl the edge over as can be seen in this photo, but it does get it started.
This is the inside of the motor well. There will be a piece of 3/8" plywood just under this opening that will direct water to the drain.
To finish the flare, I held a sledge hammer on the outside to support the tube while I used a hammer to pound the edges to a full flare as show below.
No comments:
Post a Comment