Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Friday, September 30, 2011

Final trailer modifications

As mentioned in an earlier post, I added a second set of bunks to better support the hull.  The original bunks I moved farther out and then I inserted the second set about 9" from the centerline on each side of the keel.  The brackets for the bunks are not adjustable and the trailer frame was not designed for my hull, so some spacers were needed. I fabricated them out of white oak because of its strength and water resistance.   Here is a picture of the bunks showing the spacers.
There is a through bolt between the frame and bracket that sandwiches it all together.

A final modification recommended by other boat builders is adding a keel roller closer to the front.  It seems when you launch the boat it can scape on the bunks unless there is a roller that helps keeps the nose up as it is released into the water.  I also thought the roller would help support the front of the boat since the bunks are 8' long and only support the back half of the boat.  
I bought a roller and some u-bolts and mounted a treated 2x6 to the trailer frame and bolted the roller assembly to the 2x6.  I had to add spacers between the frame and 2x6 to get the right height.  The roller just touches the keel.    If I need to adjust the height, I would either have to change the spacers or shim under the bracket. 
I am also not sure if it is in the best spot front to back.   Time will tell if adjustments are needed.  I still have to mount the bow eye at the front and then I can finalize the winch position.

No comments:

Post a Comment