Here it is epoxied into place with 3" silicon bronze screws into the transom and knee. I had to countersink the member to ensure I got about 1.75" of screw into the transom. You can't see it but there is a thin wedge of oak on top of the knee to create the correct angle for the cross piece. I felt that was easier than trying to trim the knee in place. I also glued and screwed the side plywood and transom plywood piece.
I attached some support pieces along each side and built and 'L' shaped piece along the forward part of the well to support the bottom plywood and the front piece. Except for the forward piece of plywood which is 1/4", the rest is 3/8". Here is how it looks when the plywood is in place.
These last two pieces are not yet permanently attached since I want easy access to the back area to drill drain holes and mount the bilge pumps. There will be drain holes in the bilge, which will be plugged since they are below the waterline and also two drains in the motor well which are open since they are above the waterline. The bilge pumps will empty into this motor well and drain out. Also, any water that comes over the back will collect in this well and drain out. I plan to fillet the seams with epoxy putty to seal the crack and put a nice smooth finish on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment