Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Framing the Motorwell

It's been a while since the flip, and going is slow.  The temperature has been in the 90's and has hit a 100 the last few days. It's not much fun working in a stifling garage.
I starting framing the motorwell, which is a sealed compartment at the rear where the motor will attach.  The motorwell collects any water that comes over the rear of the transom and then drains it back out.  The framing also strengthens the transom to withstand the forces of the motor. 
I cut and fit many of the pieces and then assembled them for final fit.  One thing about a boat is that nothing is  square.  Fitting pieces takes a bit of tweaking to get a decent fit.   With everything ready to go, I had to disassemble all the pieces and then mix the epoxy to glue it all together.  The hot temperature made working with epoxy a challenge. It starts to set up very quickly, so I was working like a mad fool trying to coat the pieces and then assemble it.  I actually put the epoxy in the freezer while I was assembling pieces so it wouldn't set up.

Here's a view of the oak framing for well. The vertical supports attach to battens along the bottom.
Another view. Frame 1 has a curved deck member that defines the outline of the deck. The curved was matched in the shorter cross piece that defines the front of the well.  The well must then be fitted with plywood to define the walls of the well. 
Here you can see the start of the plywood fitting.    There are two sidewalls that extend from the transom and floor to the frames. These will strengthen the transom.  I also added another layer of mahogany plywood on the inside of the transom to add thickness and also look better.  The well will be stained to match the hull.  There is also a cross piece that screws to the transom and knee brace to further strengthen the transom. The bottom of the well will mount on top of this crosspiece.
I am going to attach what you see but only fit the remaining pieces.   I need access to the bottom of the hull to drill bilge drain holes and also mount the bilge pumps so the other pieces will not get attached until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment