I completed the deck framing by adding the strongback and battens, extending them beyond where the dash would be attached. (The strongback is the front to back center member and is 3" wide while the battens are 2".) The framing is notched to accept these. The front of the strongback is tapered where it rests on the breasthook.
I then figured out where I wanted the dash and marked that on each batten and cut them off. I angled the dash about 15 degrees, so the cut is at an angle. I also mounted blocks on the carling to support the dash on the outside.
The carling is the strip of wood that extends from the front frame to the rear and defines the sides of the cockpit. It is attached to the insides of the frames. I used a 4" strip of 3/8" meranti plywood. When I finish the cockpit I plan to cover this plywood carling with a 3/8" piece of mahogany.
Here is the rough cut dash temporarily mounted to do final fitting. I will not permanently mount the dash for a while since it needs to trimmed, holes cut for gauges, and finished. The dash is African mahogany.
No comments:
Post a Comment