The quest for finding an upholsterer was more difficult than anticipated. After following several leads from friends that didn't pan out, I went to the web. Via a search I found Dave at Old Town Upholstery located in a quaint historic section called Old Town Florissant. (I wonder where Dave got the name for his shop?) One of my criteria was being able to get the job done before the summer was over. Dave thought he could do it in a few weeks.
I also was impressed because he answered the phone when you called. I tended to get an answering machine at many other places. Also, Dave was working on restoring an old Buick ('48 or so). I figured anyone who appreciates a classic old car would appreciate doing a good job for a classic runabout.
I dragged my boat to his shop to review the project. I wanted a fitted cover that could withstand trailering, even though I plan to keep my boat in a slip, plus the interior upholstered. I had to modify he plywood seat backs to accommodate the upholstery. The plywood is 3/8 and needed to be thicker around the top edge to allow stapling the hidem strip. I also had to shorten the seat back so the bottom of the seat back would rest on top of the seats.
After making the changes and going on a 10 day business trip and deciding on colors, I dragged my boat back to the shop. Dave finished the cover in a day.
It's a nice tight fit with a pole in the back cockpit to keep the cover from collecting water. My friends who have boats recommended a light colored cover because it doesn't show the dirt or pollen. Dave also mentioned it doesn't fade as fast and stays cooler than a darker cover.
The snaps to hold the cover were screwed through the vinyl rub rail. This was my intention all along since the snaps will secure he rub rail and they aren't as obvious since they blend with the chrome of the rub rail.
I thought I would have to add additional screws along the rail, but I believe the snaps will be sufficient.
Since all the seating panels are removable, Dave kept those to work on and I was able to return the boat to my garage for safe keeping. I'm waiting on my seats. When complete, the boat will be just about finished except for a few interior embellishments.
No comments:
Post a Comment