Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finishing the rub rail ends

While the vinyl rub rail was easy to apply and looks pretty good, the ends must be finished.

At the rear I cut off the vinyl in line with the transom and then attached a piece of mahogany to cover the seam between the deck and transom.  This piece I extended so the rub rail butted up to it. 

The end of the mahogany matches the profile of the rub rail.
I did a little more tweaking of the fit after this picture was taken.

At the front, I attempted to miter the cut of the vinyl to get a good joint.  Unfortunately, I rushed the job and didn't get a tight fit.   I think with a little more effort I could have done much better.
However, since this is vinyl, I wanted to protect the nose anyway so I crafted a metal nose piece from some hatch trim I bought to make transom bands.  (To be discussed in a future post)   This piece of stainless will cover and protect the nose and help hide my poor joint.

Please excuse the fuzzy picture.  This is still a work in progress.   I'll update it with a better picture when I get it installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment