Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The wiring is complete

I completed all the wiring and connected all the ends to my fuse panel.  I connected the battery and waited for smoke.  No smoke!
I temporarily wired up my bow and stern lights to test things out.  Everything worked!

Lights, horn, etc. were controlled as planned.  I disconnected the positive lead on the the starter motor, because I wasn't ready to turn it over.  However, this let me test the choke solenoid and starter relay, which also worked as planned. The only problem I had was that the choke solenoid blew a 5A fuse.  So, I installed a 10A and things worked fine.
I also labelled all the wires and updated my wiring diagram.  I find that if you don't keep accurate records of what you did, you come back a few days later and don't remember what goes where.
A few more details.  The starter circuit is un-fused, so I added an inline fuse holder on that circuit.  I also attached a vertical piece of mahogany with a channel in the back that can feed wires from the panel into the side console. This hides the wires when you are in the cockpit and makes it look like part of the interior.  I also tested to ensure the fuse panel swings down and doesn't pull on any wires. 

The last challenge was at the motor.  Everything I read suggested using #4 wire for the starter circuit.  I ordered #4 cable and had the wire ready to go for the motor.  However, the Mercury outboard I bought has a channel for the battery cables that did not take #4 wire.  I had to reorder all new lengths of #6 cable, new terminals and rebuild.
Here you can see the starter cables in their channel.  The black goes in first followed by red.  There is a cover plate that holds these cables plus the control circuit cable all in place.
After all the circuits were in place, I removed the plugs and sprayed some fog oil into the cylinders.  I reconnected the starter motor wire and tried the starter.    So far, so good.   I'm going to try starting the motor this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment