Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Monday, February 27, 2012

The motor works!

In January, I bought a 1975 Mercury 65 HP outboard on Craigslist. While it has been mounted and connected, I still haven't proven to myself that it works.  The seller claimed it ran fine, but you just never know.  I had tested all the connections and verified the compression was equal in all three cylinders.  But it still hadn't been started.

Well, Sunday afternoon we received a warm front and the temperature was in the 60's.  It was time to test. I wheeled the boat and trailer into the driveway.  Earlier in the month I was in out-state Missouri and bought 5 gallons of non-ethanol based premium gas. (You cannot buy this anywhere around St. Louis due to EPA regulations.)  So, I put in new plugs, added oil and the gas to the tank.   To run the motor I put a trash can under the lower unit and filled it with water. 
This was the set-up. I had one problem with the fuel connection.  The Mercury fitting that connects the fuel line to the engine leaked when I tried to pressurize the line. Fortunately, when I bought the motor, the guy threw in a second short fuel line which had another fitting.  I swapped out the fitting and it did not leak.  

The moment of truth. It started right up and ran well.  I made sure water was coming out the hole, which you can see in this picture.
It accelerated smoothly and idled well. It also restarted immediately when shut off.   I didn't rev it way up nor was I able to attempt to put it in gear.  I'll have to save those for my maiden voyage.  But, at least I know it runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment