Typical planking thickness is 3/8". Getting there is easier said than done. The thinnest stock by hardwood supplier offers is 4/4 (13/16" finished). They also have no resaw capability. To get 3/8", I'd have to buy 4/4 and have it planed down, wasting a lot of lumber.
After calling around I finally found Fehlig Bros. Lumber, which has a 13" resaw capability and were willing to resaw my boards. Since the blade is about an 1/8" thick, I had to buy 5/4 mahogany and maple to ensure I'd get 3/8".
I dropped the boards off and then the bad news hit. The saw did not track properly and could not handle the 13" boards. This seemed fishy as mahogany is not really tough or hard. It was possible the blade was dull and they were going to change blades to a carbide tipped blade. That wouldn't happen until Monday, so I worried the whole weekend about what to do if this failed. I had a lot of money tied up in these boards.
Well, not to worry. The new blade cut them like butter. The boards were pretty clean and very close to the same thickness, but they did vary a bit and were all thicker than 3/8". So, we needed to plane them.
Here is my stack of resawn lumber about to be fed into the thickness planer. You can see this is an industrial strength shop with lots of heavy duty machines. The planer is 25" wide and takes just about anything down to 3/8" in one pass.
The boards go in rough side up:
And come out smooth and all the same thickness:
In just a matter of minutes all the boards were done.
I want to thank the folks at Fehlig Bros. Lumber for being so helpful and accommodating. Without their help I wouldn't have my planking.
No comments:
Post a Comment