With the plywood clamped, I drilled and screwed the panel to the chine at the balance point. Working forward to the stem I added more temporary screws. I then started screwing at the sheer working rear. This caused the rear to move up and I had to release and reset some of the clamps.
The curve of the plywood at the transom is quite severe and took a lot of clamping to get it home. The plywood made a few cracks as I was pulling it into position. The strap clamps helped pull it around.
With the entire piece in position, I added more temporary screws to ensure I could get the panel back in position when I glued it. I also marked the position of the frames, chine and sheer on the inside of the panel so I could coat the gluing areas with epoxy resin.
Before I removed the panel for gluing, I cut the panel for the transition joint. This joint is where the bottom panel transitions from an overlapping joint to a butt joint. The point is just forward of frame 4 and shown here. To make the transition, the side panel is trimmed to the middle of the chine from the transition point forward. The bottom panel will be trimmed to butt to this line. Aft of this point, the side panel will be ground flush with the chine and the bottom panel will overlap. The multifunction tool from Harbor Freight was very useful for cutting the panel.
This picture shows the line that needed to be cut to the stem. It bisects the chine.
Here is the stem after gluing and screwing.
After the epoxy set, I removed the clamps and trimmed the plywood to the frame. I found the Japanese pull saw the best tool for the job. It is flexible and doesn't require a back bone like a back saw. It also cuts very quickly. You just have to watch the direction of the cut when cutting across the grain, as you do at the transom, so you don't get splinters.
No comments:
Post a Comment