Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Sunday, February 27, 2011

More limbers

After fitting the battens, I needed to cut more limbers in each frame on the chine side of the battens. Limbers are drain holes in the frames that allows water in the boat to drain to the rear and eventually hit the bilge pump.   I used a jig for my router that I could place on the batten and guide the router along the batten side.  

I used a 3/4" round nose bit. I had to clamp some scrap wood to the side of the frame to prevent tear out.  It isn't shown in this picture.  
The result is a nice clean rounded opening next to the batten.   A little filing is required to finish the cut.  If you imagine the bottom planking in place and the boat sitting upright, you can visualize water in the boat running down the bottom until it hits the batten.  Then it will drain along the batten and go though these limbers to the rear of the boat. I'm presuming the rear is lower, which it will be with an outboard motor attached.

There one final set of limbers required.  At the transom, the water must get to the middle of the boat where the bilge pumps will be. [I plan to use two pumps, one on each side of the keel.]  So, limbers must be cut in the battens to permit the water to drain to the center.   This shows the result on one side. The top of the batten will need to be reinforced with additional oak to restore the required thickness.  I'll epoxy those in later.
You can see the batten fitted into the transom frame and the limbers that will drain the water.  At the top of this picture you can see the knee that attaches to the keel.   So, water running down the batten will hit this opening and drain to the keel.
I originally thought of cutting a limber in the keel and only using one bilge pump but decided that was a bad idea.  The bottom of the hull is a slight vee and if there was a limber in the keel, the water would just sit under the keel and never get drained out.  Sitting water that is out of reach is not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment