Getting a homemade boat registered in the state of Missouri requires patience. To title a boat, you need a Hull ID Number (HIN). Since the boat is homebuilt, there is no HIN and you must request the state department of revenue to assign a number. This must be done via snail mail as there is no in-person or online process. At the same time you can also title the boat and register it.
The first step requires an inspection by the Missouri Water Patrol. That occurred on April 14. You then send in the paperwork and money and wait. If you call, they can't tell you whether they received it since they don't do anything with the envelope until they are ready to open it. You just wait.
Six weeks later I got a letter stating I didn't send in enough money. I was told the wrong amount by the license bureau and had to wait 6 weeks to find this out. So, in goes more money and the forms back to the black hole. After several weeks and no word I finally called, and, through the help of a nice lady, was able to get the process expedited.
So, finally, on June 16, I got my hull number, registration number, and stickers. I am finally legal. I hope to officially launch the boat this weekend.
My advice to anyone building a boat is to investigate the process for homemade boats well in advance. Make sure all the necessary forms and fees are verified by the appropriate department at the state level.
No comments:
Post a Comment