Malahini Design

Malahini Design

Friday, January 20, 2012

Wiring the boat

With most of the wooden interior pieces either attached or complete and waiting for assembly, I've started on the wiring.  I devised a flip down fuse panel that will be up and out of the way in normal use, but pivot down for changing fuses, etc. 
Here you can see the panel in it's up position behind the dash with some initial wiring in place.  You can also see the steering rack, switches and back of the gauges.  It's real easy to work on this now before the deck is in place.  There are two 6 connector fuse panels, the nearer one is unswitched and can provide power at all times. The further one is switched and only hot when the ignition key is on.  All the wires will run up through the pivot point so the panel can drop down.

Like so.  This is the panel in its down position and the picture is taken from under the dash.  It will be accessible;  not perfectly convenient, but reasonable to get to.
Here's a close up of the gauge wiring to date.  I used serial bus wiring for the ground, lighting and power.  There still is more to do, plus I want to label the wires and fuse panel and tie things down a bit. 

For those interested, here is the wiring diagram.  I find it very beneficial to diagram out all the wiring and ensure everything is fused and connected on paper.  It makes the physical wiring much easier as you can just refer to diagram when you have wires to run and connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment