A critical component of any vehicle/vessel are cup holders. One needs a place to hold their soda, water or other cold beverage. To fit some cup holders, I needed to build some compartments along each side of the boat from front to rear to accommodate. Here is the starting point, some custom moulding.
This moulding was constructed of mahogany and is used to cover the edge of the vertical plywood, create a lip on the edge and support the horizontal piece. This is how a cross section will look.
The first step was to glue the vertical plywood pieces to the moulding. I glued with Titebond III and used stainless steel nails for my nail gun to attach and hold. A nail gun is a blessing when working with moulding.
The next step would to fit the horizontal pieces to the hull. As you can see here, it has to match the hull and go around the frames. I also wanted a tight fit. It took me most of a day to get the first piece fit.
This is just a dry fit while I was fitting the pieces. The vertical pieces form a straight side and are about 11" tall. This creates a shelf for storage and room for the cup holders. There will be two on each side in the rear cockpit and two on the passenger side in the front. The driver' side will have one because the motor control will need some room.
After fitting, I cut the holes for the holders and glued it all up in my basement. I added some right angle braces to maintain the shape as it dried. This is the inside. The outside will be stained and then the whole thing epoxied.
It also became apparent I couldn't get these in if the seats are installed. Therefore, everything is removable and will have to be assembled in the right order: floor boards, side compartments, then seats.
No comments:
Post a Comment